Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In one weekend

They both grew up.

The Teenager was home for  5 days. We had a few snarls, but nothing major, and she's making concessions she was never able to make before.

And I heard the word "College" from her for the very first time, with intent, instead of derision. She has no idea where, she has no idea what, but it's there. She even has some oddly unique opportunities because of being in the state system the last 18 months. Strange how things work, isn't it?

And my sanity maker came home from her very first youth group ski trip, with her hands full of information on colleges, her eyes all aglow, with very specific direction. She knows where, she knows what.

It's so strange to watch them slouch through the house, stride with purpose through the house, chatter to each other and recall in a flash, how small and dependent they once were. I see them as a child, yet suddenly, in front of me, here are two incredibly gorgeous women. Where did they come from?

Oh yeah. Me.

I wish I could slow down time or even stop it for while, go back to when they were babies, watch them again, with more intent. Live life on purpose, instead of flying by the seat of my pants. And then I realize...they might not be who they are if I cold change anything. So I give up that dream and I watch them, wondering where they shall be one day.

Amazing how you can live a life in one weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how they do that! I still look at my 18 year old son in wonder just about every single day. When did he get to be a man?

    ReplyDelete