Monday, November 29, 2010

Love thy neighbor

It's ironic that I just heard a sermon on this.....

Fred Phelps and his bunch are on the move, this time not too far from my home town(where I grew up). And people are sick of it. Phelps and his bunch claim to be Christian. They claim that the military deaths are because the US has accepted homosexuality. Um, no,,,,,,,, it's WAR you idiots. People die.

Truthfully, since accepting Christ, the topic of homosexuality and what the Bible says have been a bane in my life. I love Christ and al that He has done for me, but I love my gay friends too. And it creates a dilemma for me. Recently, it struck me how wrong Phelps is to be doing the things he is- from a Christian stand point. For one, the Bible says that we can judge BELIEVERS from a Biblical standpoint but we cannot, as believers, judge those who do not claim Christ. Beyond that, no one is going to hell based on their sins. There is only one reason people will go to hell-and that is if they do not accept Christ as their Savior. No less, no more.

So here's my question for the Phelps bunch and those that think like them:

How is it that you think any person not saved wants anything to do with your brand of religion? You are not acting the way Christ would have you act. Christ did not stone the woman at the well. He did not pick up a stone to condemn the woman the Pharisees were condemning. He did not stone the PHARISEES for their wrongness. The only time Christ acted harshly was when dealing with the money changers in the temple and that was because they were making something profane of His Father's temple. You think, just maybe, YOU are profaning Christ's words?

I used to teach my children the Golden Rule-Love they neighbor as thyself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. A recent sermon pointed out how this is wrong-and now I see the Phelps bunch actually demonstrating how wrong the "Golden Rule" is.
How well  do you actually love yourself? Do you eat right? Brush your tetth as well as you ought to? Get enough sleep? If the weather is bad, do you do all you can to protect your body? How about .......bull riders? Allowing their bodies to be bashed about, bruised, battered, slammed? Is that loving yourself?(Yeah, it's a lot of fun and I love to watch it....but is it love to your self?) We cannot love others as we love ourselves. Our love might be flawed.

We cannot love someone as we love ourselves-in fact, Christ gave His disciples a new commandment:

John 13:34 says 
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.  

Realistically, I see nothing of Christ's love in the Phelps bunch. If that's their definition of being a disciple of Christ, I too, would reject the message of salvation.

1 comment:

  1. "US acceptance of homosexuality is causing the death of soliders in the war."

    What utter crap! I am continually fascinated how people can twist things to get two totally unrelated topics to become cause and effect. Surely these people have something better to do with their time and energy. I wonder what put such hate in their heart.

    ReplyDelete